Thursday, May 07, 2009

Malt Mission 2009 #351


Islay Mist
Blended Scotch Whisky

40% abv

£16

$22 (USD)


Here begins a string of Islay whiskies to be tasted here on the malt mission and as "good cheap whisky" (and variations) is currently the most popular search bringing folks to Dr. Whisky, I figured I would start with a good, cheap whisky.

I sat at my laptop for a stretch of time this afternoon just looking over blogs and e-publications' responses to whisky events and/or tastings I have done for work in the past few months. Thank you all for you kind words and support of our family company.

Then, as I sat at a friend's book reading thinking, "I am laughing, I am feeling his words, I understand what he is saying", it occurred to me that as genius as I thought his short story was, I will not remember it accurately nor will I ever really KNOW what he was saying.

This impasse, I thought, is similar to that which lies between me presenting a Scotch 101/5-dram tasting and some blogger/writer/journalist/podcaster/chef attendee later responding to it with lines like "the peatiest barrels are the sherry ones" and "Japanese Scotch is increasingly popular." I did not directly convey these fallacies but I have no doubt that the attendee heard them.

Then I thought, if I feel this communication breakdown THERE then it must exist HERE, between what I have been taught/told/shown/tasted and what I know/think/observe/opine.

So a few minutes ago I pointed and clicked through a few whisky websites in my browser and realised/reaffirmed/noted that all these representations are spoiled by our pea-brained human influence that 100 Ian Buxtons, a vibrant Whiskypedia, and a reborn Michael Jackson could never remedy.

And then, just two seconds ago I sipped a single cask Bunnahabhain (thank you, BK) and thought of .... nothing

And I understood.

Islay Mist from MacDuff International is comprised of Laphroaig, some Speyside and Highland malts whiskies, along with some grain whisky. I used to buy a lot of this when I lived in Edinburgh.

TASTING NOTES:

Seaweed and key lime pie. Shortbread, shaving cream, and salt water. Good grain presence, too, adding backbone.

Malty, smoky, salty like black olives, luscious vanilla sweetness pressed hard against peat smoke.

SUMMARY:

Could drink this in large, satisfying sips. Very well constructed. The good malt presence adds a chewiness and depth that along with the clear medicinal Islay influence makes this a really satisfying dram with a distinct peaty tang. Great value for that Islay urge.

Malt Mission #350

Malt Mission #352
Malt Mission #353
Malt Mission #354
Malt Mission #355

Malt Mission HOME

4 comments:

Tim F said...

I'm with you on the ability of single cask Islays to induce enlightenment. Nobody listens, though :(

David said...

Where are all the other whiskys from spain, Japon, EEUU, etc?????

Nathan said...

Thanks for creating a great website and a huge store of information. I have gotten into whisky over the last year or so and keep returning to your blog for information and recommendations. Your tasting notes are really detailed and interesting. Your evident hard work is really appreciated!

(Posted while savoring the last drop of my Laphroaig 10yo.)

Matthew said...

I have to read this post again, and maybe again later. I think it may be one of my favourites, but I have to think more about what you are saying.