Friday, June 27, 2008

Malt Mission 2008 #302


Aberlour 10 yo
Speyside Single Malt Whisky

40% abv

£24
$42.80 (CAD)
$35 (USD)

Ridiculous that after more that 300 malt missions I have never featured Aberlour. Once again a reminder of just how vast the world of whisky is and why it can be so intimidating to new comers. I hope this whisky blog helps make it all a little more digestible.

Sure, I featured Aberlour Abunadh way back in North American Adventure #5, but this is the first Aberlour to be a part of the Malt Mission proper. As a result, I will have the 12yo next.

Aberlour is a lovely distillery which boasts one of the best tours in the industry. Sure the buildings are cute and the histories interesting, but the full-flight tasting at the end of the tour in a reception area in one of the warehouses is the real appeal. New make spirit and the full range of standard Aberlour bottlings are on show and few folks leave without whisky breath... and whisky legs. More distillery info when I taste the 12yo.

TASTING NOTES:

Young but toasty with nuts, raisins and hay. Malt, sherried tones, and kiwis.

Dry sherry, edgy oak and almonds.

SUMMARY:

Simply put, this didn't jive with my memory of this drop; I remember really liking it in my early days of malt exploration. Perhaps it has changed over the years? Perhaps my mouth has. Today I found it disharmonious, immature, and bland. Easy to drink and gets you where you want to go, though.

Malt Mission #301
Malt Mission #303
Malt Mission #304
Malt Mission #305

Malt Mission HOME

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aberlour 10 yo was one of the very first single malts I ever tasted. I remember absolutely loving it, but unfortunately my local stores don't carry this expression at the moment. I want to give Aberlour another try but now I'm stuck with probably the 12 yo Double Cask matured, since the A'bunadh is a bit out of my price range. I expect the 12 yo to taste somewhat similar to 10 yo, so I'm eager to see how much my tastes have changed since then.