Friday, October 26, 2007

Malt Mission 2007 #185

Single
Bunnahabhain 1979 27yo
The Single Malts of Scotland
Islay
Single Malt Whisky
46% abv

£55


Fifteen drams to the landmark Malt Mission #200. I still laugh when I look at older posts and remember how excited I was when I thought we would see Malt Mission #30. Thanks for helping me keep this going. And thanks for reading.

It's Friday. As of late last night I have three sets of mates in town. I have written about Bunnahabhain before and have nothing new to say today... well, there's always something. I am not sure if I have said this before but Bunnahabhain (the name of the town that sprung up around the distillery) means 'mouth of the river' but the distillery sources its (hard) water from Margadale spring.

For past posts and more info on Bunnahabhain see THIS. Other bottlings from The Single Malts of Scotland can be seen HERE.

TASTING NOTES:

Woody, oaky, even cedary. Oily undertones. Halloween candies, the caramel ones, perfect for late October. Fruit flavoured bubblegums. Quite restrained and not overly expressive. When I add water the aromas become more metholic with more synthetic sweetness.

Yummy mix of sweet and savoury erupts with energy, and is quite sexy overall. Fruit cup and Yorkshire pudding. Pepper, mint, and even wisps of peat. Lingering flavours of oatmeal raisin cookies, butter, and coal.

SUMMARY:

An oddball, but deliciously drinkable. And what a price for the age! But I do wish it would DO more. It seems to strike a few tasty notes and resonate, but without much flavour movement. Always fun to dig out some peatiness in a Bunnahabhain, too.

Malt Mission #181
Malt Mission #182

Malt Mission #183
Malt Mission #184

Malt Mission HOME

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on pulling for the 200! Blimey, I'm still dealing in dozens of tastings not hundreds.

ce said...

Amazing- you don't look a day over 115. congrats and keep on truckin'